I am a software engineer with 20 years of experience in
Android, Linux, and Microsoft Windows environments.
I can design and implement complex software
to achieve constantly changing business objectives. I have excellent communication
skills and the ability to quickly learn and apply new technology.
I earned a Master of Science in Computer Science from Johns Hopkins University.
Summary of skills:
- Software Design: Object orientation, design patterns.
- Microsoft Windows Programming: Windows API for C.
- Android Programming: Java Native Interface, Framework, Android SDK.
- Tools: Visual Studio, Eclipse, GNU Compiler Collection, ClearCase, Git, Bash Shell.
- Network Protocol: Near Field Communication, Bluetooth (Classic, Low Energy), TCP/IP.
- Operating System: Android, Linux, Microsoft Windows.
I am a Senior Software Engineer at Perfect Sense
where I design and implement apps for Android, iOS, and Apple TV devices.
In 2017, I developed the PeopleTV app for Android for Time Inc. The app is published in
An advertisement in Time magazine
(10/23/2017) promoted the app.
In 2018, I completed the development of an
a digital news service.
In 2018, I developed the Get Outdoors app for
The Coleman Company,
the outdoor expert.
The app was built with React Native technology and is available for
Newell Brands published a
announcing the app.
The announcement was also distributed by PR Newswire.
In 2018, I developed the
Golf Advisor app
for Apple TV for the
Golf Channel, a television network.
I was a Principal Software Engineer at Broadcom Limited
where I implemented Near Field Communication
I implemented Java Native Interface code that enabled Android to use Broadcom's NFC protocol stack and NFC controller.
The source code has been contributed to the Android Open Source Project for Android 4 and 5.
It is running on
- Nexus 4, 5, 6 phones; Samsung Galaxy S4 phone.
- Nexus 7, 9, 10 tablets.
Anyone can examine my code in the following Git repositories of the Android Open Source Project:
Search for my commits: git log --author=evanchu
I used Android SDK to design and implement apps to test Near Field Communication on Android.
I designed and implemented Bluetooth and FM radio communication software
Microsoft Windows Phone.
My software used to run on millions of phones in people's hands around the world.
The following photos show the pre-production phones that I used for development:
I worked as a senior-level software engineer for
from January, 2007, to January, 2008. I used Linux,
, C++, and
to implement a network gateway simulator.
- As the sole software engineer, I implemented all the features, diagnosed the network,
and debugged system-wide problems.
- Responded and resolved all the customer's technical support requests.
- Wrote requirement, interface, and release documents.
- Integrated the simulator with the customer's system.
I worked as a software engineer for AOL
, previously known as America Online, from
1997 to 2007. I joined AOL as an entry-level software engineer. I was promoted three
levels to a principal-level software engineer based on accomplishments in developing
software for more than 30 million AOL members during peak period. I wrote parts of the
following AOL products:
- AOL 5, 6, 7, 8, 9.
- AOL Safety and Security Center 1, 2.
- AOL Privacy Wall 2.
- AOL OpenRide.